1 or 2 Day Course
This course provides an excellent foundation for understanding sacroiliac dysfunction through PowerPoint, video, and group activities/critical thinking/lab practice. A significant portion of this course is dedicated to hands-on practice. Case studies will be presented representing diverse diagnoses (hip, groin, back pain, pelvic floor dysfunction, trauma) as well as a wide range of age groups. You will develop quick screening tools that are clinically applicable and a treatment approach for sacroiliac dysfunction that can be readily used “on Monday morning” after the course. Open to PTs, PTAs, PT students, PTA students, physiatrists, PM&R residents.
At the completion of the seminar, participant will:
- Understand the dynamics of the pelvic girdle and what structures are commonly involved in dysfunction. Demonstrate an understanding of the current literature regarding diagnosis of sacroiliac joint dysfunction
- Differentiate among the numerous special tests to identify sacroiliac joint dysfunction and identify a cluster of at least 4 special tests supported in the literature and demonstrate skill at performing them.
- Identify a cluster of four tests used in the Pelvic Girdle Musculoskeletal Method (PGMM) and discuss the rationale/literature support for this cluster. Demonstrate skill at performing this cluster.
- Accurately identify and palpate critical bony landmarks, muscles and ligaments of the pelvic girdle.
- Understand the rationale and practice instructing specific corrective exercises.
- Identify and know when to apply further interventions specific to findings, including stretching, dynamic lumber stabilization, trigger point and joint mobilization techniques.
- Know when to utilize orthotic supports (sacroiliac belts/heel lifts) and be able to instruct proper donning/wearing regimen.
- Understand the importance of specific patient education including the posture, body mechanics, and pain management/education.
PROGRAM/COURSE SCHEDULE for 2 day course
DAY 1: 8 am – 5 pm
8:00 Introduction/group activity
9:15 Literature Review
10:30 Literature Review
10:45 Case Presentation
1:00 Lab: Special Tests, Pelvic Girdle Musculoskeletal Method
2:45 Presentation/lab: Innominate rotation and sacral assessment/interventions
3:45 Presentation/lab: Orthotic management (belts, heel lifts, orthotics), manual soft tissue work, Kinesio taping
DAY 2: 8 am – 5 pm
8:00 Recap Day 1
8:15 Ergonomic screening
9:15 Patient Education (Body Mechanics Lab)
10:30 Patient Education (Pain and stress management, chronic pain)
10:45 Pregnancy and Postpartum considerations
1:00 Dynamic Lumbar Stabilization/lab
2:45 Lab continues
3:45 More case examples, transitioning to community exercise
4:45 Summary, questions/answers