Breast cancer rehabilitation continuing education courses are not common, yet over 3.1 million women will have a history of breast cancer in 2017. Recent studies have identified that most cancer survivors are dealing with physical or emotional issues that affect their quality of life which can often be addressed by rehabilitation (Cancer.org). Less than 30% of survivors have had rehabilitation (Cancer.org). This course will review current literature regarding medical and physical medicine interventions for breast cancer and lymphedema. Lab practice will focus on an introduction and practice in the following: girth measurements, simple compression wrapping, home program lymphatic massage, manual therapy and exercise. Open to PT, PTA, OT and OTA and other health care providers with instructor approval.
- Understand the basic anatomy of the breast and lymphatic system and the pathology that can occur after onset of cancer.
- Demonstrate an understanding of the current medical treatment for breast cancer, breast reconstruction and lymphedema.
- Know current standards of care for the physical medicine treatment of breast cancer, breast reconstruction, and lymphedema.
- Know appropriate tests and measures for the breast cancer patient with and without lymphedema.
- Understand and be able to perform simple compression wrapping, teach appropriate post op breast cancer exercises, lymphatic exercises and home program lymphatic massage.
FEES (EARLY BIRD: Receive a $20 discount at checkout if registered 30 days before your course)
$199 Single Registration
$179 2-4 Group rate per person
$169 5+ Group rate per person
$120 Student registration
8:00 Introduction/Anatomy, Physiology and Patho-physiology
8:45 Breast cancer, Breast reconstruction, Lymphedema Medical and Physical Medicine overview, Assessments and interventions
10:30 Lab+: Girth measurement, manual therapy intro (soft tissue scar mobilization/desensitization/myofasical release applications)
1:00 Lab: Lymphatic massage home program
1:30 Lab: Compression wrapping++
2:30 Lab: Compression wrapping
2:45 Lab: Kinesio tape demo
3:00 Lab: Compression pumping demo
3:15 Lab: Breast cancer post op exercises, lymphatic remedial exercises, exercise guidelines
4:15 Summary/Questions and Answers
4:30 Course Evaluations
+ Lab will consistent of practice, PowerPoint slides and video
++ Compression supplies will be available