Breast Cancer Rehabilitation Course
This continuing education course on breast cancer rehabilitation provides physical and occupational therapy professionals and other health care providers the background and skills necessary to address the needs of breast cancer survivors. Current research in breast cancer rehabilitation has identified this area as a growing need to directly improve the survivor’s quality of life. Contact Deborah Riczo, PT, DPT, MEd to arrange this live course at your organization. Live course can include significant lab practice. Course tailored to your needs.
Breast cancer rehabilitation continuing education courses are not common, yet over 3.1 million women will have a history of breast cancer in 2017. Recent studies have identified that most cancer survivors are dealing with physical or emotional issues that affect their quality of life which can often be addressed by rehabilitation (Cancer.org). Less than 30% of survivors have had rehabilitation (Cancer.org). This course will review current literature regarding medical and physical medicine interventions for breast cancer, breast reconstruction and lymphedema. Lab practice will focus on an introduction and practice in the following: girth measurements, simple compression wrapping, home program lymphatic massage, manual therapy, and exercise.
Audience: PT, PTA, OT and OTA and other providers with instructor approval. Arrangements for CEU’s will be made upon request of the organization.
- Understand the basic anatomy of the breast and lymphatic system and the pathology that can occur after the onset of cancer.
- Demonstrate an understanding of the current medical treatment for breast cancer, breast reconstruction and lymphedema.
- Know current standards of care for the physical medicine treatment of breast cancer, breast reconstruction, and lymphedema.
- Know appropriate tests and measures for the breast cancer patient with and without lymphedema.
- Understand and be able to perform simple compression wrapping, teach appropriate post-op breast cancer exercises, lymphatic exercises and home program lymphatic massage.
Your organization can choose the length of this course to fit your needs. Objectives above are for a 7-hour course as described in the BREAST CANCER BROCHURE
Deborah has produced a 2-hour webinar (3 CEU’s) hosted by Motivationsceu.
Cleveland, December 8 Holiday Inn Cleveland South Independence, Columbus, November 3 Hampton Inn & Suites Columbus Polaris, Sandusky, October 20 Cedar Point’s Castaway Bay